The Surgical Center of the Treasure Coast, located next to the Florida Orthopaedic Specialists main office, provides the highest quality of care in a warm, personalized setting for patients whose surgical needs do not require an overnight stay. With advances in medical techniques, drugs and anesthetics, our state-of-the-art facility is able to provide surgical and diagnostic treatment specifically designed for your comfort and convenience.
The Surgical Center of the Treasure Coast is fully certified and licensed by the State of Florida, the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, Inc., and the Federal Medicare Program.
Preparing For Surgery
Preparing yourself and your family is important. Here is a checklist of items you may find helpful in preparing for surgery:
- Talk with your physician about any daily medications you are currently taking.
- Notify your physician immediately if you cannot keep your scheduled appointment for surgery, if you may be pregnant or if you experience any changes in your health such as a cough, fever or a cold.
- For your safety and protection you will not be allow to drive after surgery. Please arrange for a responsible person to drive you home and remain with your for 24 hours after your surgery.
- Two or three days prior to surgery a pre-op nurse will call you in order to compete a medical history, confirm arrival and surgery times and answer any questions you may have.
- For your safety, please do not eat or drink anything (including water) after midnight the evening before your surgery, unless instructed by our personnel. You may brush your teeth, just do not swallow any water.
- If the patient is a child or minor (under 18) one or both parents must remain at the Surgery Center while the child is at our facility. A parent (or legal guardian) must sign release permits for surgery. A guardian must bring written proof of guardianship or power of attorney or surgery may be delayed.
- The day of surgery please bring your insurance care, photo ID and any fees due by you. Leave your valuables at home, including jewelry and watches. If you do not speak English, please arrange for an interpreter to accompany you to your surgery and remain there until you are discharged.
- Please do not bring any children to the surgery center if they are not having surgery.
The Day of Surgery
Please plan to arrive promptly at the scheduled time, then register at the reception desk. A nurse will then meet with you to prepare you and answer any questions you may have about your surgery.
After your surgery you will be taken to the recovery area. There you will be monitored by our medical staff. Medications for pain or nausea may be administered and the nurses will encourage you to wake up, move your arms and legs and offer refreshments. As soon as you are comfortable, your family member or friend may join you. Once you feel comfortable you will be able to get dressed and given your take home instructions, and any prescriptions if necessary.
For your safety you must have a family member or friend drive you home after surgery. We cannot permit you to leave unescorted. The medical staff will discharge you when they are assured you are in stable condition, however you may feel sleepy, slightly dizzy or nauseated for 12-24 hours after surgery. These are normal side effects of anesthesia and should subside within a day or so.
To hasten your recovery we recommend that you rest comfortably as soon as you get home. You may begin a regular diet and resume normal activities when you and your physician determine you are ready. A day or so after your procedure a nurse will contact you to check on your recovery progress. Dizziness and nausea are normal after surgery. Please wait at least 24 hours before:
- Driving or operating equipment
- Signing important papers
- Making significant decisions
- Drinking alcohol
- Taking any medications not prescribed or acknowledged by your physician
The physicians at Florida Orthopaedic Specialists are committed to providing the highest quality of medical care in a comfortable and convenient setting. If you require orthopaedic related services such as out-patient surgery call today at 772.398.9898 to learn more!